06 Dec Video-SEO Marketing
In the past few articles we?ve talked about the importance of video marketing and today we want to focus on how it can help your website gain rankings through Video-SEO. We all know the importance of search engine optimisation (SEO), and you can be sure your competitors are doing their best to be above you in search results.? But video can really give you an edge.
Here?s a look at some of the benefits:
- Quality content.?We know that Google?s ranking priority is for good quality content. Well, video is considered good quality content if you follow a few simple rules (see below).? Back in 2009, a Forrester study concluded that ?pages with video are 53-times more likely to rank on the first page of Google search results.?? Ok, we know that in tech terms 2009 is a long time ago, but video has only become more important and relevant today than it was then.
- Mobile-friendly.?As Google increases its focus on mobile-friendly websites, you need to be able to add content that works well on mobile devices.
- Getting listed on video search engines.?YouTube is the second biggest search engine. So getting your video content onto YouTube gets you and your brand onto the video-search engine ladder.
- Embedded video increases conversion rates.?User and usage data is a factor which affects your ranking on Google?s search results. Therefore higher conversion rates on your site have a positive impact on usage data as users are interacting more with your site. So here?s the good news – including video on a landing page can increase conversion rates by up to 80%. In addition 64% of people are more likely to buy a product after watching a video about it.
- Video content is more likely to generate social media interaction.?There?s an abundance of videos on Facebook and Twitter these days. It?s amazing the amount of views, shares, links, likes and retweets a simple video can get.? And it?s these social media interactions that are also a ranking factor with Google.? So a good video can travel far and wide and get a lot of positive SEO attention for your brand/product.
But be aware that video content needs to be set up correctly to gain the maximum benefit from an SEO perspective.? Google is amazingly good when it comes to crawling and rating the written text on your website, but it struggles more when it comes to video.? By its very nature a message conveyed in a video is via the spoken word and this is harder for Google to interpret.? Google does try to ?transcribe? your video content, but you?ll make it much easier and effective if you add the correct keywords, tags, titles, descriptions and even a written transcript of the audio. And don?t forget to make sure your video?s metadata is accurate and relevant. Just like a website the video must also be optimised to ensure it works well on the platform it?s hosted on.
Also be aware that videos appearing in the search results on Google tend to be of a specific nature, for example:
- ?How-to? keywords (?how to create video for SEO?)
- Tutorials (?Setting up a video shoot?)
- Reviews (?MarketThing review?)
- Funny videos (?Look at my silly pet?)
- Anything sports or fitness related (?Workout routine?)
Therefore creating a video with this sort of format in mind will assist in getting the video itself up the search rankings.
As online video content continues to grow in popularity, the importance of video for SEO will also continue to grow. Consumers like video, interact with video and remember video. ?All the key elements for a successful marketing strategy.